Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A New Spin on "Pin"

I crochet and I knit  ..... all the time  .....  everywhere I go  .....  while I am waiting outside in the car when the kids run in to get a soda  .....  during football and basketball games to distract me enough that I don't get obnoxious  .....  during church services  (I've had a few people tell me I should be ashamed --- but I'm not) .....  while I watch TV  .....  no kidding, all the time.

This is therapy for me.  When I get upset or frazzled, if I can sit quietly for 10 or 15 minutes with my yarn, I center myself again.  It is like a long, deep breath, only better, for me!  If I am waiting it fills my time and keeps me from becoming impatient.

And, I have learned that you can knit without actually watching the knitting.  So, I am able to watch my kids play in sports while being slightly distracted by my knitting.  That way I can leave the game without being ashamed of my behavior!  ;)

When my sister introduced me to the website Pinterest I could not have imagined that it would make so many improvements in my life.  My "crafting game" has been taken to another level.  Since joining Pinterest I have learned multiple yarn techniques to enhance my skills.

I've learned invaluable tricks like the Russian join from the Twist Yarn Shop blog.

This little trick of neatly ending a crochet round off of the Dutch blog Grietjekarwietje has forever changed how I finish every crocheted edge.

Pinterest has increased my vocabulary with words like pinning, upcycle, and repurpose.  Those piles and piles of old worn-out blue jeans that I have stored away now have a chance to see the light of day again!

But, more than anything I have found many sources of inspiration.  My mind spins with all of the things I would like to make!



From a pin of this cardigan by Yarn Theory on Flickr .....
I was able to follow the path she gave to the pattern .....


 I loved the colors and even used her modifications to the pattern to end up with the cardi above.  This was a birthday present for the daughter of the friend who had pinned the original photo.






Search nearly any subject on Pinterest and you will find an abundance of posts, which leads you to boards that you will want to follow and pins that are now organized so that you can find that post again.

Oh, that my life could be as organized as my pinterest boards!  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment