Monday, July 8, 2013

Create!

 

pincushionsI was raised by Depression Era parents.  I know it seems impossible that I have a 13 year old daughter and my parents went through the Great Depression, but it’s true.

My parents were married in 1935, right in the midst of the worst economic times in the history of our country; they were in their early 40’s when I was born.  I was 43 when my teen-ager was born …… seems impossible, but if you do the math it really does work out.

Some of my mother’s favorite sayings were, “A stitch in time saves nine,” “Don’t throw away a crumb that even a bird could eat,” and “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.”

My mother actually was one of those ladies that saved aluminum foil, washed plastic bags to be used another day, folded wrapping paper to use again.  She had lived through days of want.  Frugality was a way of life with her.

100_4641So, I learned to upcycle and refurbish my entire life.  As a result of all this, I tend to have some hoarding tendencies.  Winking smile And, there are things that I just can’t part with because I KNOW I can use them for something …… eventually.

Such was the case with one of my favorite shirts.  The material was light-weight and draped so nicely.  The embroidery was delightful, and best of all …. it was even blue!  (Blue is my favorite color.)

While shopping on Saturday I saw a top that I wanted to emulate.  So, when I went looking for some material appropriate for the top I was thrilled that I might be able to up-cycle my favorite old top.100_4643

I went to Kaitlin’s closet and found a top that I could cut a pattern from.  I used an old newspaper grocery ad to make my pattern.  I chose where I wanted different elements from my old top to be used in my re-creation.  I tore an old blue jean zipper out of some jeans that I had saved to make patches, placing the zipper on the outside as much for ornamentation as for functionality.

I cut and stitched and tucked and gathered and thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to create.   When it was nearly done I asked my “model” to try it on. 

100_4642To say that my darling girl turned up her nose at my creation would be an understatement.   The pleasure of creating was still there, but the rejection stung.   I determined, though, that I wouldn’t allow someone else to steal my joy. 

This definitely isn’t the most beautiful item I’ve ever made, but it still pleases me.  I refuse to allow my daughter’s opinion of it affect my own.

In life, there are far too many times we allow other people’s opinions to steal our joy.  Whether it is a poem, a song, a painting or an up-cycled top, move forward and create!  God gave you specific gifts ….. so you can use them.  Anyone can be a critic with very little effort.  Make the effort ….. create!

No comments:

Post a Comment