Saturday, October 5, 2013

Paying It Forward


The other day I decided I needed to start making and selling hat patterns.  I make A LOT of hats and thought this would be a way to make a little extra money.  But, truthfully, I have purchased very few patterns online.  I can usually figure out the patterns myself or I will search online until I find a free pattern that is similar to what I want.

How could I expect someone else to pay their hard-earned money to purchase a pattern from me when I am so frugal (some would even say tight) that I won’t buy patterns myself?  Besides, as many free patterns as I have used, it’s about time I paid it forward! 

A free .pdf download can be found on ravelry.

So, here goes ……….




image
Just Horsin' Around Hat
 


Materials:
1 (3 oz.) skein Vanna's Colors in Driftwood or any other Bulky weight (5) yarn.
Various small amounts of yarn for decoration
Large-eye blunt needle
Size J crochet hook
Size: 0-6 months, (6-12 months), (1-3 years)

Magic Ring Method:
If you are unfamiliar with the Magic Ring Method of starting a circular crochet project you can always start with ch 2, make 10 hdc in 2nd chain from hook. There are several tutorials that can be found on the Internet. One of the best I've found is on Planet June's site.

image

Crown of Hat:
Row 1: Using magic ring method, make 10 hdc in round, join with sl st to first stitch in round. 10 hdc
Row 2: ch 1, 2 hdc in each hdc around, join with sl st to first stitch in round. 20 hdc
Row 3: ch 1, *1 hdc in next hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc*, repeat from * to * around, join with sl st to first stitch in round. 30 hdc.
Row 4: ch1, *1 hdc in each of next 2 hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc*, repeat from * to * around, join with sl st to first stitch in round. 40 hdc.
Row 5: ch1, *1 hdc in each of next 7 (3)(3) hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc*, repeat from * to * around, join with sl st to first stitch in round. 45 (50)(50) hdc. Should measure approx. 17 (18)(18) inches circumference at this point.
Row 6: (For size 1-3 years only) ch1, *1 hdc in each of next 9 hdc, 2 hdc in next hdc*, repeat from * to * around, join with sl st to first stitch in round. 55 dc. Should measure 19-20 inches in circumference.

image

Sides of Hat:
When you have the desired circumference for your hat work in the following pattern:
Next row: ch 1, 1 hdc in each hdc around, join with sl st to first stitch in round until hat measures 7 (7 ½) (8) inches from center of start. Do not fasten off.

image

image
Earflaps (optional): 

Row 1: ch 1, hdc in next 8 hdc, turn.
Row 2: ch 1, sk first hdc (decrease), hdc in next 5 hdc, hdc next two stitches together, turn. 6 hdc
Row 3. ch 1, sk first hdc (decrease), hdc in next 3 hdc, hdc next two stitches together, turn. 4 hdc
Row 4: ch 1, sk first hdc (decrease), hdc in next hdc, hdc next two stitches together, 2 hdc
Ch 1 to lock stitch.
Fasten off.

Note: I normally don't count stitches between my earflaps. I fold my hat at the front and back of the hat and “eye up” where I feel the next earflap should go, leaving more stitches at the front of the hat and fewer at the back.

Skip 9 (11) (12) stitches between the two earflaps at the back of the hat.
2nd earflap: With right side facing you, attach yarn in the 17th (19th) (22nd) stitch and work the second earflap as you did the first one.

Border:
Using two strands of worsted weight yarn (I used a tan and taupe) attach (with a sl st) at the back of the hat. Work a sc around the edge of the hat (including the earflaps, ). Join with a sl st to the first st in the round. Fasten off. Work in ends.

image

Face of horse:
Face of horse


I used scraps of a dark brown super bulky yarn to make the nose and blade of the face. (You can also use 2 strands of worsted weight yarn worked together.)
Ch 8
Row 1: hdc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 6 ch, turn. 7 hdc
Row 2 & 3: ch 1, hdc in each hdc across
Row 4: sl st into first 2 st, hdc in next 3 st, turn
Row 5-7: ch 1, hdc in next 3 hdc, turn.

edging of face: sl st in each st and each row around the face, fasten off leaving a long tail to attach to hat.
Using a contrasting color (I used gray) cross stitch “nostrils” on the nose. Position along the lower edge just above the edging and centered on the front of the hat. Slip stitch onto the hat with the long tail.

image

Eyes
Eyes: (make 2)


With black worsted weight yarn, using magic ring technique. Make 10 hdc in your magic loop. Join with sl st into the top of the first hdc. Fasten off.
With white worsted weight yarn, attach with a sl st to any of the 10 stitches in the circle, sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, 2 hdc in next 2 stitches, 2 sc in next st, sc in next st, sl st in last stitch, fasten off.
Stitch the eyes on, using white yarn on white and black on black. Note that I have added 3 “eyelashes” above the eyes.



image


Ears
Ears:
(make 2 of each color, main color and contrasting color )
Using a lighter color of worsted weight yarn for the inside of the ear, make two ears as follows:

Ch 7
Row 1: In 2nd chain from hook, make a hdc. Hdc in each remaining ch across. (6 hdc)
Row 2-3: Ch 1, hdc in each hdc across
Row 4: Ch 1, hdc in first two hdc, make a decrease in this row by hdc two st together, hdc in last two hdc. (5 hdc)
Row 5: Ch 1, decrease (two stitches together) in first 2 st, hdc in hdc, decrease in last two st. (3 hdc)
Row 6: Ch 1, work all 3 remaining stitches together, ch 1, fasten off.

Using the main color of yarn, sc the two colors of ears together, leaving the bottom of the ear open. Place the ears along the top of the hat. I like to slightly spread the two layers as I slip stitch them onto the hat so that they will stand more easily. (If needed you can stuff your ear with a slight amount of batting to help them to keep their shape and stand up.

image

Mane
Mane
To make the mane I gathered yet more burgundy/rust colored scraps of yarn. Cutting several sections of 10” yarn, I attached them to the crown of the hat using a slip knot method, such as you would attach fringe on a scarf. In using this method I could have more control on the direction that the mane would lay.



Completed hat


















No comments:

Post a Comment